Ancient castles, tranquil countryside and tales of time gone by are just a few of the experiences you can enjoy when you taking on a historical journey by bike. For those seeking a route packed full of ancient wonder, take a look at our holiday picks below…
1. Best for: Your chance to cycle a world-famous pilgrimage | Trip: Camino de Santiago, Spain We say: The legendary Camino is packed full of challenge and culture, taking you on a rollercoaster ride across Northern Spain – a bucket-list journey for any keen cyclist seeking an experience that will reward you en route.
2. Best for: A journey exploring Italy’s prized UNESCO Tuscan treasures| Trip: A Taste of Tuscany We say: From charming medieval towns to the impressive piazza of Siena, a visit here will feel like you’ve cycled into an immersive history lesson. Combine that with the famous local cuisine and you’ve got a two-wheeled trip made in heaven.
Best for: A border-hopping journey exploring ancient Roman routes | Trip: La Via Claudia, Austria and Italy We say: Whether admiring Alpine vistas or sparkling lakes, you’ll never be far from stunning scenery whilst cycling the Via Claudia. If this isn’t enough, you’ll also get to tick off two countries, rather than one!
Tuscany is a region bursting with treats for two-wheels! Take a look at our top things to see and do in the area…
1. Pedal past picture-perfect landscapes
Cypress-lined roads, rolling hills and world-famous vineyards, the scenery you’ll ride through cannot fail to please the eyes!
2. Bathe in a hot spring
Aching muscles are in for a treat as the region is famed for its hot, natural jacuzzis. What better way to wind down after a day in the saddle?
3. Dine on lip smacking cuisine loved the world-over
Food lovers will have plenty to sink their teeth into here! Alongside the best pizza and pasta you’ll ever encounter, local delicacies include wild boar stew and of course, vintage wines.
4. Visit a UNESCO world heritage site.
With more UNESCO sites found in italy than any other country in the world (and 7 in Tuscany alone), you can feel the history oozing from the region’s foundations. Any journey here will have pit stops scheduled in to soak these fascianting cultural gems up.
5. Ride on the Strade Bianche
As seen featured in the famous Eroica race, the term ‘strade bianche’ literally means ‘chalky roads’. You’ll not travel far in Tuscany without seeing and cycling on these iconic routes!
*Book your holiday in Tuscany before the 28th May and make savings with our 5% discount. Terms and Conditions apply, simply use code: GIROJOY when booking. Click here for full details.
Like the sound of a cycling adventure but not too sure what you’ll encounter en route? Time to take a peek at our shiny, new adventure video captured by guide John Walsh during our latest Costa Rica tour:
Featuring coconut bowling, waterfall bathing and wildlife spotting too, it gives an amazing flavour of the exciting opportunities our long haul destinations have to offer. If you need more convincing, check out what a previous customer had to say…
‘The scenery was stunning and each day’s ride was different, from a series of climbs to long flat stretches crossing rivers, to beach rides and more. A great deal of credit was due to the excellent planning and attention to detail by John (our guide) and of course his team, who were all really willing to go that extra mile for us…’ David, Newcastle
Want to find out more? Head to our website for full detail on our Volcanes y Playas holiday in Costa Rica. If you don’t fancy the look of this tour, take a look at our full range of cycling adventures by clicking here.
The official blog of Saddle Skedaddle cycling holidays. Featuring everything from destination highlights to top picks from the team….