… it was lovely, from a luxury barge to great leisurely cycling! But meeting the group in Brugge was only the beginning of what was to become a superb week of cycling: through quaint villages and towns, in Antwerp along picturesque canals, and in Kinderdijk through pastoral countryside.
Each day was rounded out with a historic overview provided by our guide Tom, excellent food cooked by the chef onboard The Manifique II, the smiles and attention of the rest crew and a fun group of guests from around the world.
Everyone cycled at a pace comfortable to them and there were days when some stayed aboard to relax and take in the views from the hot tub on the top deck. It was evident that the cycling routes were carefully selected to suite different interests.
Our Skipper welcomed us and provided great information on the boat and the running of a barge through European canals. Even the heavily industrial harbours were beautiful in the early morning sunrise.
The barge bike trip was my first but will definitely not be my last. Thank you Saddle Skedaddle!’
Feeling inspired? Now it’s your turn to explore some of the Europe’s most beautiful cities including Bruges, Ghent, Antwerp, Utrecht and Amsterdam on our Bike and Barge holiday. Always a very popular choice, so book in advance!
Combining your love of cycling with the chance to explore some of the world’s finest watery wonders, is what our Bike and Boat holidays in Europe are all about. From Croatia’s stunning network of archipelagos to the canal ways of Holland, we’ve got some cracking options!
1. Trip:Tulip Tour, Holland | Grade: 1 In a nutshell: Experience Holland in full colour next Spring. A 5-day mini break packed full of fun…and plenty of flowers!
2. Trip:Venetian Waterways, Italy | Grade: 1 to 2 In a nutshell: Take a unique tour of this world-renowned region and admire Renaissance wonders from the comfort of your barge.
3. Trip:Aigues-Mortes to Avignon, France | Grade: 2 to 3 In a nutshell: Take in the best of Provence! From the delightful wildlife of the Camargue (including flamingos!) to the ancient aqueduct, Pont du Gard.
4. Trip:Amsterdam to Bruges, Holland | Grade: 2 In a nutshell: A border-hopping, city-to-city tour bursting with traditional highlights, including windmills and one of the oldest cities in Holland.
5. Trip:Southern Dalmatia, Croatia | Grade: 3 In a nutshell: For idyllic coastal riding with the chance to test the legs on a few hills, this is the tour for you!
None of the above float your boat? Click here to see our full range of Bike and Boat holidays.
Skedaddler Quentin Field Boden recently headed off to the flat lands of Holland for a cycling holiday in the idyllically named Green Heart. Here’s a few snaps from his cycling travels with us, which give a great flavour of what you can expect when you take on a Bike and Boat holiday here…
Want to see Quentin’s trip really come to life? Take a look at his video below:
To view the original full-length version of Quentin’s video click here.
Feeling inspired? Quentin cycled our Green Heart Bike and Boat holiday. For more information about this trip click here.
The official blog of Saddle Skedaddle cycling holidays. Featuring everything from destination highlights to top picks from the team….