Spectacular scenery on your cycling holiday is an essential ingredient and can do wonders to help you conquer those miles! With epic vistas in mind, here are our trip picks this year featuring the most scenic road cycling routes in Europe:
1. Destination: Provence, France | Trip: Le Ventoux a Velo | What you can expect? Few destinations can boast they have their very own answer to the Grand Canyon, but Provence’s Gorge du Verdon comes very close. If that wasn’t enough you’ll encounter one of the Tour de France’s most iconic peaks, as well as dramatic rocky archways and turquoise rivers, plenty of sights to wow en route!
2. Destination: Corsica, France | Trips: The Beautiful Isle & Southern Secrets | What can you expect? Diverse road cycling doesn’t get much better than on the mountainous Mediterranean island of Corsica, a destination where nature impresses around every bend. From sparkling coast to rugged, rocky inland you’ll enjoy some of the best of the Med here.
3. Destination: Sardinia, Italy | Trip: Coastal Explorer | What can you expect? It’s no surprise that this year’s Giro D’Italia has decided to kick their 100th edition off on this incredible Italian island! For turquoise waters that rival those in the Caribbean it’s time to join us for a road trip around spectacular Sardinia, where jaw-dropping coastal views provide an inspiring backdrop as you navigate your way by bike.
Inspire your 2017 travels with our round up of best-selling trips over the past year. Time then to take a look at the two-wheeled holidays which proved a big hit with Skedaddlers in 2016…
- Trip: C2C, UK
You say: ‘The guides, John and Les, really looked after us and provided us with lovely lunches and welcome tea stops. The accommodation booked was also well organised and loved by our group.’ Alison, Staffordshire
- Trip: Southern Dalmatia, Croatia
You say: ‘It was a privilege to be on such a beautiful ship, which had been lovingly built by the captain. The rides were well led and were all very beautiful. The island of Korcula was particularly lovely.’ Trudy, Huddersfield
- Trip: Island Flavours, Sardinia
You say: ‘From beginning to end, our guides looked after us with the utmost care. They were excellent bike mechanics, incredibly organised, knowledgeable about our tour, made delicious lunches and looked after us with great a sense of humour.’ Clare, Derbyshire
- Trip: Azure Ocean Ride, Portugal
You say: ‘The views along the Atlantic coast were amazing. We also enjoyed the variety of terrain, which included forested areas, fishing villages, sand dunes and castle towns.’ Bruce, Canada
One for the whole family to enjoy…
- Trip: Asturian Coastal Ride, Spain
You say: ‘Beautiful coastline, friendly hotels and safe cycling tracks made for a great week! Each ride provided beautiful coastline and great beaches for the kids to enjoy’ Judith, West Lothian.
Tis’ the season to feast on some of our favourite biking adventures! To find out which trips made the grade in 2016, here is our round up of top 5 biking bestsellers,to help tempt your tyres in the New Year…
1. Trip: Highlands Coast to Coast, Scotland
You say: ‘Tomintoul to Ballater had some superb technical single track and a great fast decent. I would recommend this holiday to any keen mountain biker as a must do trip!’ Simon, Hereford
2. Trip: Sacred Routes, Italy
You say: ‘What an opportunity to see the Tuscan countryside in such an intimate way. How else could we get the best trails, lodging and meals all figured out for us?’ Sarah, USA
3. Trip: Awesome Andalucia, Spain
You say: ‘A great mix of really good trails. Our guides could not have done anything more for us!’ Terry, Essex
4. Trip: Sacred Singletrack, Peru
You say: ‘If you‘re looking for a trip to really challenge your technical skills and improve your comfort level on challenging terrain, then this is the trip for you.’
5. Trip: Sardinia Traverse, Italy
You say: ‘I have been on a couple of biking trips with other companies and can safely say that this was by far the best. The MTB-ing in Sardinia was spectacular and I am a better biker for it!’ Cathy, London