New travel consultant and self-proclaimed ‘proper leisure cyclist’, Ruth Long, already has a Skedaddle holiday under her wheels! Having joined us for cycling fun Sardinia, we wanted to get her top travel advice for exploring this Italian island on two wheels:
1. Learn some basic Italian; the Italians love it when people make the effort to speak their language, and they especially appreciate it in Sardinia. You’ll stay in some super rustic villages, so greeting the locals with a Buongiorno or Buonasera is an absolute must and often rewarded with free coffees or glasses of prosecco…
2. Cycling in Sardinia can be undulating, but your climbs will always be rewarded with the most amazing views of crystal clear waters. It’s worth keeping that in mind when you’re pedallin’ up that hill!
3. Be sure to take your swimming costume and a mini quick-dry sports towel on your day’s cycling; you’ll cycle past so many hidden bays whose beaches are empty; not stopping for a swim seems criminal!
4. Make sure you explore the local areas! It’s tempting to stay in your hotels as they’re so fantastic, but there are lots of coastal wonders worth getting out to see and local flavours to taste.
5. Stay hydrated! One of my favourite things about Italy, and Sardinia is no exception, is that every village, no matter how tiny, will have somewhere you can get a great coffee, and fill up your water. During our ride we were never short on refreshments; just look for the main square (la piazza) or ask for il bar!
One more thought… A Skedaddle cycling holiday in Sardinia allows you to see so much more than your average holiday would: you’ll stay in rustic Italian villages, you’ll taste delicious, authentic food, cooked and served the Italian way, and you’ll cycle through places that you’d typically never see. Traveling by bike is the best way to see how the locals live!
Our La Via Claudia cycling holiday in Northern Italy is a great opportunity to explore beautiful cycle paths, accompanied by stunning views of the Alps – a trip that really immerses you in breath taking natural beauty. For your chance to see what all the fuss is about, take a peek at this great video from our latest competition winners, Joanna and her family, and prepare for immediate wanderlust…
Feeling inspired? Our La Via Claudia route is one of our most popular leisure cycling trips in Europe, and is ideal for those wishing to experience the beauty of the Alps on two wheels! In 2018 we are intruducing a self-guided option of this well-loved holiday, so you can now enjoy stunning views completely at your own pace.
The official blog of Saddle Skedaddle cycling holidays. Featuring everything from destination highlights to top picks from the team….